Tuesday, September 21, 2004

gazals

Just finished a road trip to Davangere. Since I now have a decent music system, I had decided to buy a couple of decent cassettes to listen to. A couple of Jagjit Singh albums were it. So that was the music that we listened to for nearly the entire journey. (Oh! I must not forget the "Tum to thehre Pardesi" album that too featured prominently.)

There is something mystic abt the word Gazal, u just have to like the sound of it. The lyrics of the Gazals by Jagjit Singh are definitely a treat. One of them had the opening line:-

"Tum nahin, Gam Nahin, Sharaab nahin"

At first it appears to translate to, "If u arent't there, there is no sorrow or need for alcohol".
Not a very pleasing compliment. But the next line goes:-

"Aisi tanhayee ka javaab nahin"

If I need to translate this, then the impact is lost. But I too joined in the ensuing "Vaah Vaah Vaah" :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home