Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Of limewater and lemons

Before going to bed yesterday, was thinking about my school days. Even though it has been 10 years(that long!!!), to that day my memories of most of my school life are surprisingly intact. I mean if u can recall the names of most of the girls in ur 6th Std class photograph(not just the babes mind you), then that is pretty good I'd say. Our class was full of the standard school characters, the bully, the class prankster(me??), the studious types, the squealers, the sportsmen and so on. But all of them together made my memories of the school what they were.

I remembered the yoga competition that I was forced to take part in. The smell of the dank carpets is still with me. I wonder what made the house master select me for participating in the competition. But the competition was rigged shamelessly, I even knew which asana I would be asked to perform. When my turn came I religiously started doing all the asanas in a sequence without even realising that these were supposed to be selected by the judges. But the most surprising thing was that neither the audience nor the chief guests smelt a rat ;) and I finished to ths sound of the tired claps of bored students just waiting to rush home.

We always used to have these competitions on Saturday afternoons. So when they ended there was joy for leaving the place and also for the Sunday. That was also the time when one could catch glimpses of the new students (babes).

But one memory of my school stands out. As a part of our Std XI syllabus we were required to conduct a science experiment and demonstrate it in front of the class with the explanation and the works. Guys came out with all kinds of stuff, me came out with the "Effect of pasteurisation on milk", another one came out with some major electroplating stuff. But there were two studs who decided upon demonstrating the effect of carbond dioxide on limewater. Remember this was the XI std and I distinctly remember the phrase "CarbonDioxide turns limewater milky" from my V Std. But what the heck, this was just a formality and the teacher knew that anything more ambitious was beyond the reaches of those two.

Anyway the couple since they had some good faith in my scholastic abilities approached me to witness their experiment and the explanation following the same. I was a bit apprehensive the moment the chap started blowing air thru the glass supposedly containing limewater. It was nowhere close to being milky. But the chap insisted that the water had indeed changed colour. Fine, I said, maybe I had colour blindness or something. He finished it with a decent explanation abt Carbon Dioxide and Calcium Hydroxide. As I was commending them, I noticed a couple of lemons on the table. When I asked abt them, they looked at me with a look that said, "what a guy we picked upon!!". They said, "Lime water kaise banayenge nimboo ke bina bata??".

It took me sometime to convince the couple that lime was what the neighbourhood paanwalla used to apply on their paans!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home